A land of sublime natural beauty, Norway’s breathtaking coastline is the true heart of this captivating wilderness. A land of plunging waterfalls and pristine fjords, primeval forests and majestic glaciers where colourful hamlets and historic ports cling to the shores of bays and coves and where the Northern Lights can appear abruptly. Our cruise departures operate during the most likely time to view the incredible majesty of the Northern Lights (aurora borealis), a celestial light show that is without parallel, when the dark sky is lit with a shimmering curtain of unforgettable colours.
At a Glance
- 1 night in Bergen
- 6 nights cruising from Bergen to Kirkenes
- 1 night in Kirkenes
- 2 nights in Oslo
- Sightseeing tours in Bergen, Kirkenes and Oslo
- A spectacular 6-night cruise from Bergen, north to Kirkenes
- The chance for sighting of the Aurora Borealis
- Visits to Alesund, Trondheim, Bodø, Tromsø, Honningsvåg
- London to BergenYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your SAS flight via Oslo to Bergen. On arrival, transfer to the 4* Clarion Admiral Hotel, (or similar), located close to the harbour for one night. D
- BergenEnjoy a tour of this beautiful city before a late afternoon transfer to our 3* Hurtigruten ship and an evening departure. B D
- Maloy-Torvik-Alesund-Molde-KristiansundDuring the early morning the ship crosses the open Stadhavet and heads for Torvik, before calling at the beautiful Art Nouveau town of Alesund. After a call at Molde the ship navigates the Hustadvika, a belt of islets, before docking at Kristiansund. B L D
- Trondheim-RorvikThe ship arrives early at the Medieval city of Trondheim, where you will have time to explore Norway’s first capital on an optional shore excursion. Continue on to Rorvik. B L D
- Ornes-Bodø-Stamsund-SvolværCrossing the Arctic Circle, continue to the town of Bodø before heading out to open sea towards the Lofoten. In the evening, the ship navigates the narrow Raftsund Strait, passing the looming crags of the Trollfjord. B L D
- Harstad-Finnsnes-Tromsø-SkjervoyEarly morning you will pass the medieval Trondenes church before calling at Harstad for breakfast. A relaxing morning at sea precedes your arrival in Tromsø, the “Paris of the North”, the capital of the Arctic, with optional shore excursions available. B L D
- Hammerfest-HonningsvågFollowing an early call at Hammerfest you arrive in Honningsvåg, the capital of the North Cape, before heading east towards the picturesque fishing villages of Kjøllefjord, Mehamn and Berlevag. There will be the opportunity to join optional shore excursions today. B L D
- KirkenesToday the coastline becomes more dramatic as we approach Kirkenes, a few kilometres from the Russian border and the Sami communities of Northern Finland. On arrival enjoy a tour in and around Kirkenes and visit Storskog, the border station between Norway and Russia, before arriving at your hotel the 4* Rica Arctic hotel (or 3.5* Svanhovd Konferensesenter in February). Visit the Snow Hotel on an optional tour. B
- Kirkenes to OsloThis morning fly to Oslo and transfer to the downtown 4* Clarion Hotel Royal Christiania (or 4* Grand hotel in February), for your two-night stay. B
- OsloTake in the main sights of Norway’s capital on this morning’s city tour. The rest of the day is at leisure for you to explore. B
- Oslo to UKTransfer to Oslo airport for your flight back to the UK with SAS. On arrival, your door-to-door driver will be waiting to take you home. B
Whilst some longer stops are made, a feature of this tour is the many short stops of up to 45 minutes at smaller ports. The ship is never out of sight of land, sailing through sheltered waters between islands and into fjords offering you the opportunity to see many little visited ports and villages.
The emphasis onboard is on relaxation and getting away from the commercial entertainment which is so often a part of conventional cruises.
The itinerary operates in the region where sightings of the Northern Lights are most likely although, as a natural phenomenon, a sighting of the Aurora Borealis cannot be guaranteed.
Hurtigruten ships are working vessels operating a regular service to a set schedule, carrying vehicles, cargo and foot passengers by day and night (some noise may be noticed during docking or loading). Some stops are short and/or are during the night. It may occasionally be necessary to omit or curtail visits due to weather/local conditions.
Tailor Your Tour
Visit the Snow Hotel or enjoy some dog-sledding on an optional tour on Day 8 of the tour. These can be booked locally through your tour manager.
All other optional excursions are bookable on board your ship.
Make your holiday last longer with a tailor-made extension. Our experienced Reservations team will help you put something together to suit you.
The cost of your extension will be subject to a supplement of £25.
Departure dates and prices:
|February 2013||Thursday 14th||£2,295|
|March 2013||Monday 4th||£2,395|
|November 2013||Thursday 7th||£2,195|
|December 2013||Thursday 5th||£2,395|
|February 2014||Thursday 13th||£2,325|
|March 2014||Monday 3rd||£2,425|
|November 2014||Thursday 6th||£2,225|
|December 2014||Thursday 4th||£2,425|