Visit some of the world’s last rainforest and encounter the vast range of birds, tropical trees and flowers that inhabit this island’s steamy interior along with colourful orang-utans and macaques. Offering a rare chance to explore some of the world’s most dramatic, unspoilt wilderness, this is a tour to inspire.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Kuching
- 2 nights in Batang Ai
- 4 nights in Kota Kinabalu
- 2 nights in the Danum Valley
- 2 nights in Sukau
- 1 night on Selingan Island
- 1 night in Kota Kinabalu
- Time at Sepilok orang-utan sanctuary
- One night on Selingan Island
- Visit to an Iban longhouse
- Sightseeing in Kota Kinabalu National Park, Danum Valley and Sukau
- London to KuchingYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your flight to Kuching, via Kuala Lumpur, with Malaysia Airlines.
- KuchingHead straight to the 4* Hotel Hilton, your home for two nights. This afternoon, take a tour of Kuching’s waterfront, including a visit to the Sarawak Museum.
- KuchingToday is free for you to discover Kuching at your own pace. B
- Kuching to Batang AiJourney to Serian and enjoy time in the market-place before boarding your boat for a trip across the spectacular lake to Batang Ai. The 4* Hilton Batang Ai Longhouse Resort becomes your unique home for the next two nights. B L
- Batang AiTravel by longboat along the Ai River as you cross Batang Ai National Park to the Delok Longhouse for a late lunch and a taste of Iban hospitality. B L
- Batang Ai to Kota KinabaluHead to Kuching for your flight to Kota Kinabalu. Reaching this fascinating city, relax at the 5* Magellan Sutera Hotel & Spa, which welcomes you for four nights. B
- Kota KinabaluYour day is at leisure to explore at your own pace, perhaps taking a boat trip to a nearby coral island or an optional trip on the time-honoured British Vulcan steam locomotive. B
- Kota Kinabalu National ParkExplore Kota Kinabalu National Park and enjoy the area’s outstanding natural beauty. At Poring Hot Springs, take a stroll along a jungle canopy walkway to observe treetop life or follow one of the jungle trails, before an afternoon dip in the hot mineral springs. B L
- Gaya Island, Kiulu River or Kota KinabaluJoin an optional trip to Gaya Island or go white-water rafting on Kiulu River. Alternatively, you’ve a free day to do as you please. B
- Kota Kinabalu to DanumFly to Lahad Datu and head to the riverfront 3* Borneo Rainforest Lodge in Danum, which welcomes you for two nights. After lunch, take a guided walk to explore the Danum Valley, venturing along nature trails and canopy walkways to see the rich variety of plant and wildlife. Round off the day with a wildlife night drive or walk (weather permitting). B L D
- DanumDiscover more of the Danum Valley with a guided walk along the Coffin Trail to an ancient burial site. After lunch, take a nature walk through lush rainforest, following the river along the Segama Trail. Weather permitting, enjoy another evening’s wildlife night drive or walk. B L D
- Danum to SukauResume your journey by road to Sukau and check in at the 3* Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge for a two-night stay. Enjoy an evening boat cruise from the lodge. B L D
- Sukau and Kinabatangan RiverExplore the trails alongside the Kinabatangan River, home to some rare species of wildlife including proboscis monkeys. In the afternoon, visit the Gomantong Caves before taking a cruise along the river, where you may see monkeys, egrets and macaques. B L D
- Sukau to Sandakan and Selingan IslandJourney by boat to Sandakan and enjoy a speedboat ride to the turtle conservation site of Selingan Island. After settling in at the simple but comfortable 3* Turtle Island chalets, spend the afternoon relaxing on the island. This evening, a ranger will accompany you to the beach to see turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs and new hatchlings making their way to the sea. B L D
- Sandakan, Sepilok and Kota KinabaluReturning to Sandakan by boat, journey to the Sepilok orang-utan sanctuary where orphaned orang-utans are taught how to survive in their natural habitat. After a short sightseeing tour of Sandakan, fly to Kota Kinabalu for a final night at the 5* Magellan Sutera Hotel & Spa. B L
- Kota Kinabalu and flight homeBoard your Malaysia Airlines flight to London Heathrow, via Kuala Lumpur. B
- LondonYour door-to-door driver will take you home.
Borneo’s natural environment boasts coral reefs, beaches and rainforest rich with bird and animal life. If nature, wildlife and walking are your thing, then this is the tour for you. To get to the heart of Borneo’s wilderness, we often travel off the beaten track on foot where some paths can be rough. You’ll need to have both an average level of fitness and some good walking shoes.
In the cities, hotels are of an excellent international standard. Expect accommodation in rural areas to be more basic. Some have a shower only, or fans instead of air conditioning.
Tailor Your Tour
See more on an optional excursion, available from your tour manager.
Spend some extra time in Kota Kinabalu after your tour; please call for details.
Enjoy extra comfort on your international Malaysia Airlines flights in Business Class (from £2,650 per person return).
Departure dates and prices:
|March 2013||Thursday 16th||£3,495|
|August 2013||Thursday 1st||£4,125|
|September 2013||Thursday 5th||£3,595|
|October 2013||Thursday 31st||£3,645|
|March 2013||Thursday 15th||£3,525|
|August 2013||Thursday 31st||£4,155|
|September 2013||Thursday 4th||£3,625|
|October 2013||Thursday 30th||£3,675|