The great and glorious cities of China hold the secrets to its extraordinary culture. Discover Guilin, Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai and all the treasures they conceal, sit back and relax as we cruise the mighty Yangtze, river of legend and enjoy rural scenes of bamboo groves and rice paddies drifting by.
At a Glance
- 3 nights in Beijing
- 2 nights in Xi’an
- 2 nights in Guilin
- 3 nights cruising the Yangtze River
- 2 nights in Shanghai
- Three-night Yangtze River cruise
- Visits to the Great Wall of China and Terracotta Warriors
- Cruise on the Li River in Guilin
- Sightseeing in Shanghai, Xi’an, Guilin and Beijing
- London to BeijingYour door-to-door driver will take you to London Heathrow for your overnight British Airways flight to Beijing.
- BeijingArriving in Beijing, settle into the 4* Renaissance Beijing Hotel, your home for three nights. Later, tour the Temple of Heaven, China’s largest temple and altar complex.
- BeijingTour Tian’anmen Square, home to Mao’s Mausoleum, continue to the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace on today’s city tour. B L
- Sacred Way and the Great WallVisit the Sacred Way: tombs of the 13 Ming emperors guarded by statues of animals and warriors. This afternoon, walk along the Great Wall of China. B L
- Beijing to Xi’anFly to Xi’an and after lunch head for the city wall – built during the Tang Dynasty, it’s the only complete city wall still standing in China. Visit Shaanxi’s History Museum, before two nights at the 4* Grand Mercure Hotel, situated within the city walls. B L
- Xi’anVisit the Neolithic ruins of Ban Po. This afternoon visit the 2000 year old Terracotta Army, built to guard the Qin emperor’s tomb and protect his journey to the afterlife. Evening dinner at the Tang Dynasty Show. B L D
- Xi’an to GuilinThis morning visit the Small Wild Goose Pagoda before flying to beautiful Guilin and take a guided tour of the Reed Flute Caves for a look at the stalagmites and stalagtites. The centrally located 4* Sheraton Hotel, on the banks of the Li River welcomes you. B L
- GuilinCruise the Li River through Guilin’s stunning landscape of paddy fields, farmland and limestone outcrops. Reaching the town of Yangshou, return to Guilin by road. B L
- Guilin to Yangtze River CruiseFly to Chongqing and visit the ancient streets of Ciqikou. Lunch in a local restaurant, then board the 3.5* MV President Prime. B L D
- Yangtze River Cruise – FengduAfter a safety orientation and river briefing, take a shore excursion to Fengdu, the City of Ghosts, with temples and shrines dedicated to gods of the underworld. Spend the evening on board for the Captain’s welcome. B L D
- Yangtze River Cruise – Three GorgesVenture through the three gorges, beginning with Qutang Gorge, the shortest and most dramatic, followed by Wu Gorge. Dropping anchor on the Shennong stream, climb into pea pod boats and journey through Badong County. Return to your ship and sail for the final gorge, navigating the new Three Gorges Shiplocks late this evening. B L D
- Yangtze River Cruise, Three Gorges Dam site, Yichang – ShanghaiTour the Three Gorges Dam Project, the largest hydro-electric project in the world. Then sail through the east part of Xiling Gorge. After lunch, disembark at Yichang and transfer to the airport for your flight to Shanghai. The 4* Central Hotel located just off the Nanjing Road is your home for the next two nights. Free time this evening. B L
- ShanghaiToday’s city tour includes a visit to the Jade Buddha Temple before continuing to Yuyuan Gardens and the Shanghai museum. After strolling along the Bund’s colonial waterfront, enjoy an evening performance by the famous Chinese Acrobats. B L
- Shanghai to LondonBoard your direct British Airways flight to London Heathrow, where your door-to-door pick-up driver takes you home. B
MV President Prime on the Yangtze River
MV President Prime has five decks and provides ample public areas. Your reserved standard twin cabin (24.1 sqm) has a private balcony, private bathroom (shower), air conditioning and satellite television. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with a choice of Chinese and western dishes. Dinner is a Chinese style set menu. One glass of soft drink is included with lunch and dinner. Due to mooring restrictions, boats may be tied up alongside one another, which can limit cabin views and involve a walk through other vessels to reach the bank. Depending on the water level, you may also have to climb steps to reach the top of the bank.
This spectacular journey has made history with the recent construction of the Three Gorges Dam, the world’s largest dam and a wonder of modern engineering, set to change part of the river’s course forever. Against the backdrop of the imposing gorges this journey remains a geographical wonder.
Your cruise itinerary may be subject to operational changes due to changing water levels, often at late notice.
Tipping on board your Yangtze cruise ship
Please note that a gratuity of RMB 150 per person (approximately US $22.50 per person) will be added to your shipboard account for cruise staff. However this service charge does not include a gratuity for the river guide or cruise director, which may be given at your discretion based on your level of satisfaction.
Tailor Your Tour
Extend your tour in Shanghai from £52 per person per night based on two people sharing. (Single supplement from £52).
Your departure transfer, extension supplement of £25 and any applicable flight supplement are not included in these prices.
Ask our reservations team about extending in Hong Kong or extend in Chengdu to see the Giant Pandas.
Enjoy a Suite on your Yangtze cruise for a supplement from £160 per person. Upgrade on your international British Airways flights from £505.
Departure dates and prices:
|April 2013||Monday 15th||£3,095|
|May 2013||Monday 6th||£3,095|
|June 2013||Monday 3rd||£3,095|
|August 2013||Monday 5th||£3,195|
|September 2013||Monday 2nd||£3,295|
|April 2014||Monday 14th||£3,145|
|May 2014||Monday 5th||£3,145|
|June 2014||Monday 2nd||£3,145|
|August 2014||Monday 4th||£3,245|
|September 2014||Monday 1st||£3,345|
Departure Dates and Prices
|October 2013||Monday 07th||£3,795|
|October 2014||Monday 06th||£3,845|
Upgrade to Prestige
Spoil yourself and upgrade to a Prestige tour: 3 nights at the 4*Plus Bejing Kerry Hotel – Shangri-La, Bejing, 2 nights at the 4*Plus Xi’an Sofitel-Renmin Square, Xi’an, 2 nights at the 4* Sheraton Hotel, Guilin (Executive Room), 3 nights at the 4* Plus Shanghai Westin Bund Centre, Shanghai (Crown Deluxe Room). Itinerary remains the same as the Classic Tour but with the above upgraded accommodation.