Eighteen days, five countries, one astonishing feat of engineering. Experience the Panama Canal with the prestigious Holland America Line, where luxury is standard. From the heart of LA travel south to San Diego then set sail for Mexico and Guatemala before cruising the Panama Canal; a true traveller’s conquest.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Long Beach
- 14 nights cruising from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal
- Sightseeing in Los Angeles and San Diego
- Visits to Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco and Puerto Chiapas (Mexico), Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala), Fuerte Amador (Panama), and Cartagena (Colombia)
- Cruising the Panama Canal
- Two nights on board the Queen Mary Hotel
- London to Los Angeles and Long BeachYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your flight to the USA with British Airways. On arrival at Los Angeles head for the 3* Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach for your two-night stay.
- Los AngelesTake in Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, Sunset Strip, Rodeo Drive and Hollywood on today’s tour.
- Los Angeles to San DiegoA morning visit to San Diego’s attractions before boarding the ms Statendam, your 5* Holland America Line cruise ship, to set sail on the start of your 14-night cruise. D
- At seaYou’ve two full days to relax on board as you make your way to Mexico. B L D
- Puerto Vallarta, MexicoA day of exploration ashore at Puerto Vallarta at your own pace or on an optional tour. B L D
- At seaCruising towards your next port of call, spend a full day relaxing or enjoying your ship’s many facilities. B L D
- Huatulco, MexicoA trip on to dry land to explore the beautiful seaside resort of Huatulco with its sandy beaches and blue waters. B L D
- Puerto Chiapas, MexicoReaching the Pacific gateway to the Mayan world, Puerto Chiapas, join the optional excursion to Palenque, or spend time at leisure. B L D
- Puerto Quetzal, GuatemalaThe pretty port city of Puerto Quetzal is the gateway to Antigua – discover this colonial city on an optional tour. B L D
- At seaAnother full day to enjoy the first-class surroundings of your ship. B L D
- At sea and Fuerte Amador, PanamaAfter a day at sea, arrive at Fuerte Amador early this evening, ready to set off along the infamous canal in the morning. B L D
- Fuerte Amador and the Panama CanalEmbark on one of the highlights of your tour with an early morning start to join the Panama Canal. An engineering triumph of the 20th century, the canal remains a vital trade route, as well as a traveller’s odyssey. B L D
- Cartagena, ColombiaArriving at Cartagena in Colombia today, discover the colonial architecture that reveals the city’s status as a Spanish bastion. B L D
- AtseaA chance to unwind and reflect on your tour with two full days heading out towards the coast of Florida. B L D
- Fort Lauderdale, Miami and flight homeBack on American soil, leave the ship in Fort Lauderdale and set off for Miami for your overnight British Airways flight to Heathrow. B
- LondonArrive at London Heathrow where your door-to-door driver will be waiting to chauffeur you home.Holland America LineSailing with Holland America Line offers 5* accommodation, impeccable service and a ‘Signature of Excellence’ standard. The ms Statendam provides modern amenities including The Greenhouse Spa & Salon with its thermal suites, hydro and thalassotherapy pools and heated ceramic lounges.
Other forms of recreation on board include cookery demonstrations and classes at The Culinary Arts Centre and the amenities of Explorations Café, which include a library, internet access and music stations. The two-tier Rotterdam Dining Room features an extensive wine list and five-course menus, from continental cuisine to vegetarian and low-carb options, while the intimate, reservations-only Pinnacle Grill provides sophisticated dining with premium hand- selected cuts of Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated ‘Excellent’ by Wine Spectator. For a more informal setting, the Lido Restaurant offers a relaxed ambience and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialities.
As cruising is one of the most relaxing ways there is to travel, we thought a two-night stay on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California, would be a great complement to the rest of your trip. With this as your pre-cruise base you can explore two of the most exciting cities the West Coast has to offer – Los Angeles and San Diego. You will only need to carry US currency and US dollar travellers cheques, despite journeying through several countries.
And you needn’t worry about tipping on board your ship, either: a gratuity of US $11.50 per person per day will be added to your shipboard account for dining and stateroom service.
Tailor Your Tour
At the end of your cruise, relax at the 3.5* Doubletree Surfcomber Hotel from £91 per person per night, based on two people sharing a twin room on a room-only basis (single supplement from £91).
Prices do not include airport transfers or your extension supplement of £25 per person.
Upgrade to an outside cabin on your cruise (supplements from £18 per person) – and enjoy greater in-flight comfort with British Airways World Traveller Plus or Club World. Call our Reservations team for details.
Departure dates and prices:
|February 2013||Wednesday 27th||£3,195|
|Sedptember 2013||Wednesday 17th||£3,195|
|February 2014||Wednesday 26th||£3,295|
|March 2014||Wednesday 26th||£3,245|
|September 2014||Wednesday 16th||£3,245|