Combining the pyramids and enigmatic sphinx with a long, languorous Nile Cruise, Cairo to Aswan has long been one of the world’s most desired trips. Newly re-opened, this classic river cruise gives you the chance to see and learn about some fascinating ancient history while watching rural Egyptian life pass by as you sail along the magnificent Nile.
At a Glance
- 3 nights in Cairo
- 12 night Nile Cruise
- 1 night in Cairo
- Door-to-door pick-up service
- Visit to the Pyramids and Sphinx
- Visit to the Egyptian Museum
- Extensive sightseeing along the Nile including the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Karnak and Luxor Temples
- Full board including afternoon tea on the Nile cruise
- Breakfast in Cairo
- London to Cairo Your door-to-door pick-up driver will chauffeur you to London Heathrow for your EgyptAir flight to Cairo. On arrival meet your tour manager and transfer to your 4♦ Plus Thomas Cook Nile cruiser.
- Cairo Morning visit to the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx.
- Cairo Today’s visit to the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities is unmissable. Amongst the ancient artifacts you can admire first hand are Tutankhamen’s elaborate sarcophagus and examples of the treasures buried with the pharaoh.
- Cairo to Beni Suef This morning begin sailing South to Beni Suef, enjoy a relaxing day on board.
- Beni Suef to Minya Another full day cruising.
- Beni Hassan to Tel El Amarna Visit to the unfinished tombs of Beni Hassan which demonstrate the transitional period between the Mastaba type tombs of the Old Kingdom and the deep cut tombs you will see more of in the Valley of the Kings.
- Tel El Amarna Visit the fabled city of Tel El Amarna. The Pharaoh Akhenaten moved the capital of Egypt to this place as an offering to his god Aton after he established monotheism in Egypt. After his death his son Tutankhamen moved the capital back to Thebes.
- Assiut to Sohag A further full day of sailing.
- Sohag to Abydos A morning sailing before visiting Abydos, one of the most ancient cities of Upper Egypt. Notable for the memorial temple of Seti I, which contains an inscription from the nineteenth dynasty known to the modern world as the Abydos King List. Return to your cruiser and continue sailing.
- Nag Hamadi to Qena Relax and enjoy the peaceful serenity of cruising along the timeless Nile.
- Qena to Luxor Sail to Denderah to visit the Temple of Hathor. Relax in the afternoon.
- Luxor This morning visit the major sites of Luxor’s West Bank. Visit the Valley of the Kings, the Valley of the Queens, the grandeur of Queen Hatshepsut’s temple and the Colossi of Memnon.
- Luxor Today visit the awe-inspiring Temples of Karnak and Luxor. Sail to Edfu.
- Edfu, Kom Ombo and Aswan Visit the temple of Horus. After lunch, sail to Kom Ombo to visit the Ptolemaic Temple before continuing to Aswan.
- Aswan Visits to the High Dam, the Unfinished Obelisk and the tranquil Island Temple of Philae. This afternoon, a relaxing Felucca trip on the river takes you to Kitchener Island to explore the lush botanical gardens.
- Aswan to Cairo A morning optional tour to Abu Simbel or spend at leisure. Return this afternoon to Cairo for your final night at The 5♦ Fairmont Towers, Heliopolis.
- Cairo to London Fly to London Heathrow with EgyptAir, where your door-to-door driver with meet you.
Please note this cruise also operates in reverse from Aswan to Cairo as a 15-day itinerary.
As the majority of this tour is onboard your Thomas Cook Nile cruiser, this tour is at a relaxed pace, with very little packing and unpacking.
Morning is the coolest part of the day in Egypt, so there will be some early starts to avoid both the heat of the day and crowded sites.
Please note that due to mooring restrictions at some of the busy areas of the Nile, such as Luxor, boats have to be tied up alongside one another, which can limit the view from your cabin and involve a walk through several vessels before you reach the bank.
Please note that this tour is not suitable for anyone with walking or mobility problems, due to the uneven nature of the ground around the sites visited plus getting on and off the cruise boat.
An Egyptian visa is required but for British passport holders this can be obtained on arrival.
Tailor Your Tour
Enjoy an aerial view of Luxor as your hot air balloon floats high above the rock-carved tombs of the West Bank, the impressive Colossi of Memnon and the amazing temples. Lasting around 45-60 minutes the flight is followed by a light breakfast. This excursion is pre-bookable with your holiday and prices start from £156 per person.
A trip to Abu Simbel where you’ll see the temples of Ramses II on the banks of Lake Nasser (from £160 per person).
Extend your tour in Cairo. Extra nights at the Fairmont Towers, Heliopolis are from £65 per person per night. A flight supplement and extension fee of £25 per person applies.
Cruise the Nile in luxury by upgrading your Nile Fleet D Deck standard cabin to a C Deck standard cabin from £125, a Suite from £215 or a Royal Suite from £295.
Business Class is also available on EgyptAir
Departure dates and prices:
|March 2013||Friday 1st||£2,595|
|March 2013||Friday 28th*||£2,495|
|April 2013||Friday 12th||£2,395|
|May 2013||Friday 09th*||£1.995|
|August 2013||Friday 16th||£2.395|
|September 2013||Friday 12th*||£2.495|
|September 2013||Friday 27th||£2,695|
|October 2013||Friday 24th*||£2.495|
|November 2013||Friday 08th||£2.695|
|December 2013||Friday 05th*||£2,495|
|December 2013||Friday 20th||£2.695|
|February 2014||Friday 28th||£2,625|
|March 2014||Friday 27th||£2,525|
|April 2014||Friday 28th||£2,425|
|May 2014||Friday 28th||£2,025|
|August 2014||Friday 28th||£2,425|
|September 2014||Friday 28th||£2,525|
|September 2014||Friday 28th||£2,725|
|October 2014||Friday 28th||£2,525|
|November 2014||Friday 07th||£2,725|
|December 2014||Friday 04th||£2,725|
|December 2014||Friday 19th||£2,525|
*Denotes that tour operates in reverse, sailing from Aswan to Cairo