Beginning and ending in the country’s grand colonial capital, this tour snakes through the ancient sites of Nazca, Machu Picchu and Cusco via Colca Canyon, Lake Titicaca and the desert dunes of the coast. In the process, you will uncover Peru’s mysterious history, its lovely cities and World Heritage listed natural environment.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Lima
- 1 night in Paracas
- 1 night in Nazca
- 2 nights in Arequipa
- 1 night in Colca
- 2 nights in Puno
- 3 nights in Cusco
- 1 night Machu Picchu
- 1 night in Cusco
- 1 night in Lima
- Train journey and visit to Machu Picchu
- Visit to the Nazca Lines
- Sightseeing in Lima
- Stay in Colca Canyon
- Seeing the sights in Puno and Cusco
- City tours of Paracas and Arequipa
- Visit to the floating Uros Islands
- London to LimaYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your flight to Lima, via Madrid, with Iberia. Head straight to the 3* Jose Antonio Hotel for two nights.
- LimaEnjoy a tour of Lima’s old town taking in highlights such as the Plaza Mayor, the San Francisco monastery and catacombs and the Larco Museum. B
- Lima to ParacasJourney to Paracas and the 3* La Hacienda Bahia Paracas Hotel for an overnight stay. B
- Paracas to the Ballestas Islands, Ica and NazcaCruise to the beautiful Ballestas Islands on this morning’s boat trip, home to a wealth of wildlife including Humboldt penguins, seals, sea lions and wheeling bird life, before this afternoon’s visit to Ica’s Regional Museum. The nearby 3* Casa Andina Hotel welcomes you tonight. B
- Nazca to ArequipaEnjoy an optional flight over the Nazca Lines this morning before heading to Arequipa. Relax for the first of two nights at the 3* Posada del Inca Hotel. B
- ArequipaBegin the day with a drive through Arequipa’s countryside and then head into town for a visit to the Convent of Santa Catalina, the cathedral and Church of La Compania. B
- Arequipa to Colca CanyonAn early start for your journey past the Yura valley district and volcanoes to Panpa Canahuas on the National Reserve of Salinas and Aguada Blanca. Continue on to the village of Chivay, where the 3* Casa Andina Hotel becomes home for the night. B L D
- Colca Canyon to PunoHead to the wooden cross of La Cruz del Condor early this morning where you’ll have breathtaking views of the Colca River in the canyon below and the area’s native condors soaring overhead. Later we travel on to the colourful city of Puno and the 3* Jose Antonio Hotel for a two night stay. B L
- PunoToday we visit the Uros Islands. Made of reeds and anchored by logs, these extraordinary islands are still inhabited by a thriving fishing community. Later, we travel further out into the lake, to Taquile Island, inhabited by Quechua-speaking natives. B L
- Puno to CuscoEn route to Cusco, enjoy a winding journey through the Andes and visit Racchi Temple and Andahuaylillas Church. Check in at the 3* Jose Antonio Hotel, your home for the next three nights. This evening, enjoy a cultural show with dinner. B L D
- CuscoToday, explore Cusco city with its blend of Inca and Spanish cultures, including visits to the Temple of the Sun and the cathedral. Later we discover the Inca bath ruins of Tambomachay, the Puca Pucara labyrinth and fortress, the Kenko amphitheatre and the fortress of Sacsayhuaman. B
- Pisac and OllantaytamboStroll through Pisac’s colourful market before a tour of the remarkable Inca-built fortress of Ollantaytambo. B L
- Cusco to Machu PicchuTravel by rail today, following the river through the Urubamba Valley, bound for the ‘lost city’ of Machu Picchu. Little is known about the ruins, but your guided tour will unveil a wealth of interesting information. Continue to Aguas Calientes National Park for one night in the 3* Machu Picchu Pueblo or similar. B L D
- Machu Picchu to CuscoReturning by rail late this afternoon, you’ll have stunning views of Cusco as you descend to the city and return to the 3* Jose Antonio Hotel for one night. B
- Cusco to LimaFly to Lima and spend a final night at the 3* Jose Antonio Hotel. B
- Lima and flight homeJourney to Lima airport for your Iberia flight, via Madrid, to London Heathrow. B
- LondonYour door-to-door driver will take you home.
Some sites are at very high altitudes so take things slowly while your body adjusts. You should also drink lots of water. Though there is no major walking involved, you should be reasonably fit.
Please note that some days are long, such as the day we travel from Nazca to Arequipa, but well worth it. Be warned – roads aren’t all of the standard we are used to and can be bumpy at times.
The valleys can be hot, while high up in the mountains it’s very cold, so it’s a good idea to bring both warm and cool clothes. On some days you will also need an overnight bag.
Tailor Your Tour
A flight over the Nazca Lines on Day 5 is available to book with your holiday from £85 per person, plus US $9 tax (payable locally).
Add a stay in Iquitos (from £685), take a cruise around the Galapagos Islands (from £2,995), or discover the culture of Bolivia (from £1,195).
Your extension supplement of £25 is not included.
Get more comfortable on your international flights in Iberia’s Business Class (from £1,580 per person), based on return flights.
Departure dates and prices:
|May 2013||Thursday 9th||£3,695|
|June 2013||Wednesday 13th||£3,795|
|August 2013||Thursday 1st||£3,895|
|September 2013||Thursday 12th||£3,695|
|May 2014||Thursday 8th||£3,745|
|June 2014||Thursday 13th||£3,845|
|July 2014||Thursday 31st||£3,945|
|September 2014||Thursday 11th||£3,745|
Upgrade to Prestige
Departure Dates and Prices
|October 2013||Thursday 10th||£5,895|
|October 2014||Thursday 09th||£5,945|
Upgrade to Prestige
Spoil yourself and upgrade to a Prestige tour: 2 nights at the 4*Plus Miraflores Park Hotel, Lima, 1 night at the 4*Plus Libertador Hotel, Paracas, 1 night at the 4*Majoro Hotel, Nazca, 2 nights at the 4* Libertador Hote, Arequipa, 1 night at the 4* Casitas del Colca, Colca, 2 nights at the 4*Plus Libertador Hotel, Puno, 3 nights at the 4*Plus Monasterio Hotel, Cusco the 5* Orient Express Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu, 1 night at the Sumaq Machu Picchu, 1 night at the 4*Plus Monasterio Hotel, Cusco, 1 night at the 4*Plus Miraflores Park Hotel, Lima. Itinerary remains the same as the Classic Tour but with the above upgraded accommodation.