From the luxury of your hotel on wheels, contrast the energy of India’s bustling cities to the tranquility of everyday rural life. From ‘Tiger to Taj’, sample the nation’s celebrated sites and, with your own personal butler, without constant unpacking, sit back, relax and enjoy a thrilling journey that is indeed fit for an Indian prince.
At a Glance
- 1 night in Mumbai
- 7 nights on board the Maharaja Train
- 1 night in Delhi
- Seven nights on board the luxury Indian Maharaja Train
- Two game drives in Ranthambore National Park
- Sightseeing in Mumbai, Delhi and Jaipur
- Visits to the Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, Ajanta Caves and Ellora Caves
- Gala dinner at the Fateh Prakash Palace of Udaipur
- London to MumbaiSit back and relax as our door-to-door service whisks you to London Heathrow for your scheduled Jet Airways flight to Mumbai.
- MumbaiOn arrival check in to the 4* Plus Trident Nariman Point Hotel for an overnight stay.
- Mumbai and the Maharaja TrainAfter breakfast enjoy a sightseeing tour of Mumbai. Highlights include the Gateway of India, Chowpatty Beach and the Hanging Gardens on Malabar Hill. This afternoon we head to the magnificent Victoria Terminus to board the 5* luxury Maharaja train for the first of seven nights. B D
- On board and Ellora CavesAfter breakfast head for the Ellora Caves, a World Heritage Site, where you will witness ancient Buddhist and Hindu cultures through rock-cut monasteries and temples dating back to 600 AD. Return in time for lunch with the
rest of the day at leisure on board to enjoy the facilities. B L D
- On board and Ajanta CavesFamous for its caves, Ajanta is one of the few historical and architectural marvels of India. Recognised as a World Heritage Site today, it was discovered during the 19th century by a group of British officers during a tiger hunt. The Ajanta group of caves, located deep within the Sahyadri hills above the Waghora, depicts the story of Buddhism that prevailed here from 200 BC to 650 AD. Lunch is on board before the train heads for Udaipur. B L D
- On board and UdaipurYour first stop today is the vast, exquisite City Palace, a well-fortified, majestic white monument overlooking Lake Pichola. Then visit Jagdish Temple, a 16th-century temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. In the evening take a cruise on Lake Pichola (subject to water levels) followed by a special dinner at the Fateh Prakash Palace. B L D
- On board and Ranthambore National ParkEarly morning visit to the National Park for your first game drive to see if you can spot its most famous resident, the Bengal tiger. More than in any other park Sanctuary in India, tigers are easily spotted here in daylight. The park is one of the finest reserves in the country and in 1972 became part of the Project Tiger scheme. Time to relax before your afternoon game drive before taking high tea at the Taj Lodge. Dinner is on board the train. B L D
- On board and JaipurA full day’s sightseeing in the Pink City, painted pink for hospitality by order of the Maharaja. Take a ride through the Aravalli Hills to Amber Fort, visit the Palace of the Winds and spend some time in the bustling bazaar before heading to the Jantar Mantar observatory. B L D
- On board and AgraVisit Fatehpur Sikri, a red sandstone city built in 1569 and deserted 14 years later when its water supply failed. After lunch continue to Agra Fort and then on to the Taj Mahal. Built of a truly breathtaking combination of pure white marble and semi-precious stones, it is considered one of the most extravagant expressions of love ever created. Return in time for dinner on board. B L D
- DelhiAfter you bid farewell to the Maharaja train, a full day’s sighseeing takes in Old and New Delhi, including Humayun’s Tomb, the Jama Masjid Mosque and bustling Chandi Chowk Bazaar. Then check in to the 4* Claridges Hotel for an overnight stay. B
- Delhi and flight homeHead for the airport for your flight to London Heathrow with Jet Airways. Your door-to-door driver will be waiting to take you home. B
The Maharaja’s 21 coaches carry a maximum of 80 guests from Mumbai to Delhi. Each carriage consists of four deluxe cabins complete with en-suite facilities and your own butler. There are two beautifully appointed wood-panelled restaurant cars serving a sumptuous selection of Indian and international cuisine carefully prepared by Taj Hotels.
In addition you can take a relaxed drink in the bar in the lounge car and if you feel like pampering yourself there is also a carriage with a spa, gym and hairdressers.
India can be very hot, so bring your lightest cotton clothing but you will also need to be prepared for some of the cooler nights. Dress code for dinner on board is smart/casual.
Your excursions sometimes involve quite a bit of walking – we recommend that you have a good level of fitness and bring a comfortable pair of shoes.
Tailor Your Tour
Round off your luxury train journey with an extension to Goa for five nights, staying four nights at the 5* Taj Exotica and one night at the 4*Plus Trident Nariman Point from £1045 per person.
Alternatively you may wish to extend in Kerala for five nights, or Shimla for four nights (from £575). Call our Reservations team for details.
Your extension supplement of £25 per person is not included and any applicable flight supplements.
Fly in style with Jet Airways Premier Class (from £1,980 per person) or First Class (from £4,995 per person), based on return flights.
You may wish to upgrade your accommodation on board the Maharaja to Platinum Class which includes a second en-suite and sitting room and your own private guide for sightseeing, from £1,455 per person.
Departure dates and prices:
|March 2013||Monday 4th||£3,595|
|October 2013||Monday 14th||£3,995|
|November 2013||Monday 4th||£3,995|
|February 2014||Monday 3rd||£3,645|
|March 2014||Monday 3rd||£3,645|
|October 2014||Monday 13th||£4,045|
|November 2014||Monday 3rd||£4,045|