Taking you on a round trip from Sri Lanka’s capital, Colombo, we journey through tea plantations and cities, visit beaches and ancient places, explore sacred temples and look out for elephants and leopards. The scenery is glorious, the cultural sights enlightening.
At a Glance
- 1 night in Colombo
- 2 nights in Habarana
- 2 nights in Kandy
- 1 night in Nuwara Eliya
- 2 nights in Yala National Park
- 2 nights in Bentota
- Visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Jeep Safaris in Yala National Park
- Visit Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage
- Tour of Polonnaruwa
- London to ColomboTravel from your door to London Heathrow with our pick-up service and fly overnight to Sri Lanka’s capital city with SriLankan Airlines.
- ColomboCheck in at the 4* Taj Samudra Hotel or similar, your home in the country’s commercial centre.
- Colombo to HabaranaHead to Habarana for two nights’ relaxation at the 4* Cinnamon Lodge or similar. You’ve the chance to climb to the top of Sigiriya Rock Fortress this afternoon, stopping partway up to have a look at the cave paintings. On the rock’s summit are the ruins of the King’s Palace, bath and terraces and at the foot of the rock are the remains of the pleasure gardens. B D
- PolonnaruwaThis morning explore the ruins of the medieval capital Polonnaruwa, built in the 12th-century by King Parakramabahu. The remains of the King’s Palace, which includes shrines, temples and dogobas, are well-preserved, as is the Gal Vihara containing rock sculptures of the Buddha. Later, join an optional elephant-back safari, or spend the rest of the day at leisure. B D
- Habarana to Dambulla and KandyBreak today’s journey with a stop at the Golden Temple of Dambulla – a well-preserved cave monastery – and take a walk through a spice garden. Reaching Kandy, settle in at the 4* Citadel or similar for a two-night stay. B D
- Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage and KandyA real highlight today: see elephants close up and have lunch in the sanctuary’s riverside restaurant as they bathe. Take in the sights of Kandy City this evening, including the Temple of the Tooth, before ending the day at a cultural show. B L D
- Kandy to Nuwara EliyaAfter a peaceful stroll through the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens, set off into the mountains. Amongst the spectacular scenery, you’ll pass colourfully dressed local people picking tea leaves; stop at a tea plantation and factory to learn more on the way. At journey’s end in Nuwara Eliya, check in to the 4* Hotel Grand or similar for the night. B D
- Nuwara Eliya to Yala National ParkAccompanied by more amazing views, continue through the mountains to Yala National Park. Once you’ve made yourself at home at the 3*Plus Chaaya Wild Yala, look out for leopards on a jeep safari. B D
- Yala National ParkCatch the early-morning life of the park on another jeep safari before breakfast and a day at leisure. Round off the day watching animals at the watering hole. B D
- Yala National Park to BentotaSwap east coast for west today. You’ll get to see the old Portuguese and Dutch town of Galle before you reach the resort of Bentota. Unpack for two nights at the beachside 4* Vivanta by Taj-Bentota Beach. B
- BentotaSpend the day relaxing by the beach. B
- Bentota to Colombo and LondonReturning to Colombo this morning, fly back to London Heathrow where your door-to-door driver will meet you. B
We want you to be able to unwind on this tour, so the pace is relaxed with a combination of one and two-night stays. Your tour has been designed to see as much of Sri Lanka as possible while at the same time allowing plenty of time to relax.
To fully appreciate the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, it’s best to climb right to the top but it’s a hard climb so we’ll leave it up to you. You’ll also need to be reasonably fit to get to the temple we visit in Dambulla. Make sure you’ve got good shoes and suitable clothes for both days.
A wonderful opportunity to spot elephants and leopards in the wild, Yala National Park is one of the biggest highlights of this tour. As well as accommodation in luxury lodges, we’ve included two jeep safaris.
Tailor Your Tour
Get more from your tour with the optional excursions available from your tour manager.
Give yourself more time to relax in Bentota at the end of your tour. Three extra nights at the Vivanta by Taj-Bentota Beach cost from £190 per person (single supplement from £120). If you’d like to spend even longer there, please ask our Reservations team for prices.
Alternatively, head to the Maldives; please call our Reservations team for more details.
Your extension supplement of £25 is not included in these prices and any applicable flight supplements.
Get comfortable in SriLankan Airlines’ Business Class. Upgrades are available from £1,680 per person return.
Departure dates and prices:
|January 2013||Thursday 31st||£2,295|
|April 2013||Thursday 11th||£2,295|
|October 2013||Thursday 10th||£2,295|
|October 2013||Thursday 31st||£2,395|
|January 2014||Thursday 30th||£2,395|
|April 2014||Thursday 10th||£2,395|
|October 2014||Thursday 9th||£2,395|
|October 2014||Thursday 30th||£2,495|