Tanzania is regarded as one of the finest safari destinations in the world, boasting a quarter of all Africa’s largest mammals. Seated in special 4×4 landcruisers, you’ll have the opportunity to see herds of migratory mammals and with the highlights of the Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater, you can set about putting together your own Big Cat Diaries.
At a Glance
- 1 night in Arusha
- 1 night in Tarangire National Park
- 2 nights in Serengeti National Park
- 2 nights in Ngorongoro Crater National Reserve
- 1 night at Lake Manyara
- Game drive in Tarangire National Park
- Views of the Great Rift Valley
- Full-day game drive in Ngorongoro Crater
- Three game drives in the Serengeti
- London to KilimanjaroSit back and relax as our door-to-door service whisks you to London Heathrow for your scheduled Kenya Airways flight to Kilimanjaro via Nairobi.
- ArushaAfter arriving and completing formalities at Tanzanian immigration you will be transferred to your centrally located hotel, the 4* Arusha Hotel.
- Arusha to Tarangire National ParkAfter a morning departure, you will arrive at Tarangire National Park in time for lunch at your overnight accommodation, the 3* Tarangire Sopa Lodge. In the afternoon it’s time to enjoy your first Tanzanian game drive as you explore Tarangire National Park. Covering an area of 525 square miles, the park is famed for the iconic baobab tree and having one of the highest concentrations of game in Africa, particularly of elephants and buffalo. Return in time for dinner. B L D
- Tarangire to Serengeti National ParkAfter breakfast depart for the Serengeti Plains stopping at the Olduvai Gorge for a picnic lunch. It was here that archaeologists unearthed two million year old fossil remains of our early human ancestors and it’s now renowned for being one of the most significant prehistoric sites in the world. Wonderful experiences await as you enter the Serengeti Park for an afternoon safari. Continue to the 3* Serengeti Sopa Lodge for two nights. B L D
- Serengeti National ParkSpend a full day discovering your own secrets of the Serengeti as you experience some of East Africa’s unique wildlife. Made famous by countless wildlife documentaries such as Big Cat Diaries, the name Serengeti comes from the Masai term ‘siringet’, meaning endless plains. Return to your lodge in time for dinner. B L D with picnic lunch.
- Serengeti to Ngorongoro CraterAfter breakfast spend the morning spotting wildlife such as wildebeest, giraffes, zebras, lions and cheetahs. After a picnic lunch we climb to the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater and the 3* Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge for a two-night stay. Enjoy the spectacular views of the crater from your lodge. B L D
- Ngorongoro Crater National ReserveAfter breakfast you descend to the floor of the crater where you enjoy viewing the game within its walls with a picnic lunch. With a diameter between 10 and 12 miles, its short grass prairies are a perfect haven for animals and you can see all the big cats, elephants, hyenas and gazelle. It is even possible to see the endangered black rhinoceros. Return to your lodge in the afternoon. B L D
- Ngorongoro to Lake ManyaraAfter breakfast we depart for the 3* Lake Manyara Serena Lodge in time for lunch. We have left this afternoon free so you can enjoy the fantastic views below of the Great Rift Valley, while reflecting on the wonderful sights already seen. For those of you who would like to see more of Tanzania’s incredible flora and fauna, you can take part in our optional excursion to Lake Manyara National Park. B L D
- Lake Manyara, Kilimanjaro and flight homeWe return to Kilimanjaro for your Kenya Airways flight to London via Nairobi. You may wish to extend your trip with a few days in Zanzibar or Gibbs Farm. B
- London HeathrowOn arrival, your door-to-door driver will be on hand to take you back home.
All lodges are of an excellent standard in- keeping with their surroundings and have private en suite facilities.
The Tanzanian days are warm but the nights can be cold especially on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater so you will need to dress accordingly. While on safari, bring cool cotton clothes in neutral colours, comfortable shoes and of course, a camera and binoculars.
Roads will be bumpy and you will travel in a convoy of small vehicles rather than a coach. In order to view the best game, we head out early most days.
Please note: you can combine Secrets of the Serengeti with our Mystery of the Masai tour.
Tailor Your Tour
Get a fabulous bird’s eye view of early morning wildlife as you take to the skies for a balloon safari above the plains of the Serengeti. This takes place on Day 6 prior to your departure for Ngorongoro and is accompanied by a champagne breakfast.
To avoid disappointment, please reserve your place at the time of booking your holiday. Prices start from £375 per person. Departures are subject to weather conditions.
If you would like to round off your Tanzanian safari with the warm waters of the Indian Ocean you can spend three nights in Zanzibar at the 4* Bluebay Beach Resort & Spa. Prices are from £575 per person on a Half Board basis with extra nights available.
Fly in style with Kenya Airways Premier World Class to Nairobi, available at a supplement from £1,970 per person, based on return flights.
During your safari, exclusive use of the 4×4 vehicles is available at a supplement from £515 per person based on two people sharing.
Departure dates and prices:
|April 2013||Tuesday 23rd||£2,825|
|September 2013||Tuesday 17th||£3,395|
|November 2013||Tuesday 05th||£3,295|
|April 2014||Tuesday 22nd||£2,875|
|September 2014||Tuesday 16th||£3,445|
|November 2014||Tuesday 04th||£3,345|