History and intrigue are our travelling companions on this grand cruise of Russia’s great waterways. Navigating scenic rivers, lakes and canals from landlocked Moscow to St Petersburg at the edge of the Baltic Sea, we introduce you to opulent imperial splendors and glide through incredible waterscape vistas.
At a Glance
- 10 nights cruising Russia’s waterways
- 2 nights docked in Moscow
- 2 nights docked in St Petersburg
- Sightseeing in Moscow and St Petersburg
- Walking tour of Uglich
- Visits to Kizhi Island and the monastery in Goritzy
- London to MoscowAfter your door-to-door journey to London Heathrow, fly to Moscow with British Airways. On arrival, transfer to your cruise ship, the 3* MS Surikov, your home for the next 10 nights. D
- MoscowExplore the highlights of this opulent city this morning taking in the colourful multi-domed St Basil’s Cathedral, Red Square and GUM, the well-known chic department store. The afternoon is free for you to take an optional excursion, or simply relax on board. B L D
- MoscowSee the cathedrals, palaces and museums of Tsarist Moscow inside the walls of the Kremlin, on a morning tour. After lunch, join the optional trip to the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, alternatively, discover more of the city for yourself. B L D
- UglichAfter admiring the cityscape from the water, you’ve a morning walking tour of Uglich, where you’ll see the Church of St Dmitry on the Blood, tour the grounds of Saviour – Transfiguration Monastery. This afternoon, continue your cruise through the territory of ancient Muscovy and along the Moscow Canal. B LD
- YaroslavlHead for the well-preserved ‘Golden Ring’ city of Yaroslavl. Mid-afternoon, get to know the city’s historic centre on a tour, taking in the frescoed Church of Elija the Prophet – just one of the city’s many impressive ecclesiastical buildings. B L D
- Volga-Baltic Waterway and GoritzyPass through some delightful pastoral scenery today as you cruise part of the Volga-Baltic Waterway. Make a stop in the village of Goritzy and visit the nearby historic Kitillov Belozersky Monastery on the shores of the White Lake. See the 15th-century Assumption Cathedral and learn of its history. B L D
- Kizhi IslandRelax on board this morning as you cruise the northern lakes through beautiful Karelia. Make an afternoon stop in the pretty northern countryside on the island of Kizhi to visit its open-air museum. Its 22-domed wooden church is said to have been constructed without the aid of a single metal nail. B L D
- MandrogiCruise through the rolling farmland and forests of Karelia enjoying the scenic vistas from the comfort of your ship. Make a stop at a picturesque riverside village where you can walk around and discover what rural life in Russia entails. B L D
- St PetersburgThis morning sail into St Petersburg and discover the sights scattered amongst its islands, canals and bridges including the Peter and Paul Fortress, the baroque complex of Smolny Convent and the Cathedral of St Isaacs. Your afternoon is free for exploring the many delights of this ‘Venice of the North’. B L D
- St PetersburgThis morning take a tour of the Hermitage Museum, once the beautiful Winter Palace of the Tsars. Spend the afternoon at leisure amongst the many treasures of St Petersburg. Later, an optional excursion to a performance at one of the city’s internationally renowned theatres, followed by a late dinner, is an excellent way to end your tour. B L D
- St Petersburg to London HeathrowHead to the airport for your evening flight back to the UK with British Airways. On arrival, your door-to-door driver will be waiting to take you home. B
MS Surikov – your home for 10 nights
Part of the MTF Cruise fleet, the 3* MS Surikov takes you through Russia with great service and scenic cruising en route. With a maximum of 170 passengers, you can enjoy attentive personal service from the ship’s crew, including an experienced Cruise Manager and relax in the beautifully appointed public areas. Onboard facilities include a restaurant and two bars. Complete with a river-view picture window, your cabin is equipped with private bathroom facilities (shower and wc) and air conditioning. Standard twin cabins are over nine square metres in size and Vertical twins around six and a half square metres. Prices are based on Standard cabins located on the Main Deck. Standard cabins are available on the Upper Deck; prices start from a supplement of £35 per person.
As you’ll be staying on your well-appointed cruise ship for the whole tour, you’ll be able to unpack and really make yourself at home, so it will feel like a real holiday.
Please note that Russian cruise ships tend to be more simple than those in the rest of Europe.
An invitational letter and visa is required for travel in to Russia, please refer to the Embassy for further information.
Tailor Your Tour
See even more of Russia with the extra sightseeing available to book on board the ship.
Round off your tour with a tailor-made extension – call our Reservations team to discuss your ideas for your own itinerary.
Make your time in the air more comfortable with an upgrade to Club Europe from a supplement of £725 per person based on return flights.
Departure dates and prices:
|May 2013||Saturday 11th||£1,595|
|May 2013||Friday 31st||£1,695|
|June 2013||Thursday 20th||£1,695|
|August 2013||Monday 19th||£1,695|
|September 2013||Sunday 8th||£1,695|
|May 2014||Sunday 11th||£1,695|
|May 2014||Saturday 31st||£1,725|
|June 2014||Friday 20th||£1,725|
|August 2014||Tuesday 19th||£1,725|
|September 2014||Monday 8th||£1,725|