Starting in Amritsar, with its Golden Temple and Delhi, where old jostles new, we discover India’s spiritual wealth in Varanasi and Khajuraho before encountering the divine architecture of the Taj Mahal and the dazzling colours of the Pink City of Jaipur. Add the romance of India’s railways and three exhilarating safaris at Ranthambore National Park and you’ll find that this is indeed a tour of India’s great icons.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Amritsar
- 2 nights in Delhi
- 1 night in Varanasi
- 1 night in Khajuraho
- 2 nights in Agra
- 2 nights in Ranthambore National Park
- 2 nights in Jaipur
- 2 nights in Udaipur
- 1 night in Mumbai
- Visit to the Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, the temples of Khajuraho, and the Golden Temple
- Three safaris at Ranthambore National Park
- Two boat rides on the River Ganges
- Sightseeing in Delhi, Sarnath, Orchha, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and Mumbai
- London to AmritsarYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for an overnight flight to Amritsar via Delhi with Jet Airways.
- AmritsarReaching Amritsar this afternoon head straight to your hotel, the 4* Ista Hotel which welcomes you for the first of two nights. With time to freshen up and unpack, we take you this evening to witness the Palki ceremony at the Golden Temple.
- AmritsarOn your half-day city tour, you will revisit the Golden Temple and Jallianwala Bagh and the Ranjit Singh Museum before heading to the border with Pakistan to Wagah to witness the Flag ceremony. B
- Amritsar to DelhiTake an early morning train to Delhi and settle in at the 4* Claridges Hotel, your home for two nights. Visit Humayun’s Tomb and the Qutab Minar this afternoon. B
- DelhiDiscover Old Delhi on today’s sightseeing tour, including highlights such as the Jama Masjid Mosque, bustling Chandi Chowk Bazaar and the Red Fort. B
- Delhi to VaranasiFly to Varanasi and check in to the central 4* Gateway Ganges for an overnight stay. Visit Sarnath this afternoon before enjoying a boat ride on the River Ganges in the evening, where you will witness the enchanting event of an Aarticeremony. B
- Varanasi to KhajurahoEnjoy a dawn boat ride along the Ganges and watch worshippers perform celebratory rituals. Later, take in the sights of Varanasi on a city tour before your flight to Khajuraho, where the 4* Hotel Chandela becomes your home for the night. This afternoon we visit the western group of Khajuraho’s world famous temples. B
- Khajuraho to Agra via OrchhaToday visit the eastern temples and the 11th-century village of Orchha, home to a number of well-preserved palaces and temples. Later, board the train at Jhansi; reaching Agra in the evening, relax at the 4* Gateway, which welcomes you for the first of two nights. B L
- Agra and the Taj MahalVisit the Taj Mahal this morning, a stunning combination of pure white marble and semi- precious stones. Explore Agra on a brief city tour, including the Agra Fort and Itmad-Ud-Daulah’s tomb, before this evening’s optional trip to watch the sun set over the Taj Mahal. B
- Agra to RanthamboreEn route to Ranthambore, visit Fatehpur Sikri. Reaching Ranthambore, relax at the 4* Vivanta Taj-Sawai Madhopur Lodge for two nights. B D
- Ranthambore National ParkEarly morning visit to the National Park for your first game drive. The park is one of the finest tiger reserves in the country and in 1972 became part of the Project Tiger scheme. Relax before your early evening game drive. B D
- Ranthambore National Park to JaipurOne final jungle safari early this morning to spot tigers, leopards, deer and monkeys among the many different species of animals in the park. After breakfast head to Jaipur and make yourself at home at the 4* Trident Jaipur for two nights. B
- JaipurA full day’s sightseeing in the Pink City. Take a ride through the Aravalli Hills to Amber Fort, visit the Palace of the Winds and spend time in the bazaar before heading to the Jantar Mantar observatory. B
- Jaipur to UdaipurTrain/boat ride to Udaipur, where on arrival there will be a sightseeing tour. Then check in to the 4* Trident Udaipur on the banks of Pichola Lake for two nights, before an evening boat ride. B
- UdaipurToday is free before dining in splendour tonight at Shiv Niwas Palace. B D
- Udaipur to MumbaiFly to Mumbai and tour some of the highlights then head to the 4* Plus Trident Nariman Point, or similar for an overnight stay. B
- Mumbai to LondonBoard your direct Jet Airways flight to London Heathrow where our door-to-door pick-up service promises a relaxing journey home. B
The restaurants serve fine traditional foods as well as plenty of Western choices.
Be prepared to travel some long distances. Although roads can be rough and some days quite long such as day 10, the scenery of life passing by makes the journey worthwhile.
Tailor Your Tour
Round off your tour with an extension to Goa for five nights, staying four nights at the 5* Taj Exotica and one night at the 4* Plus Trident Nairman Point, Mumbai from £965 per person.
Alternatively extend in Kerala for five nights or Shimla for four nights (from £575).
Your extension supplement of £25 per person is not included and any applicable flight supplements.
Enjoy greater in-flight comfort with Jet Airways Premier Class (from £1,995 per person) or First Class (from £4,995 per person) based on your return international flights.
Departure dates and prices:
|January 2013||Tuesday 15th||£3,295|
|March 2013||Tuesday 5th||£3,525|
|October 2013||Tuesday 8th||£3,425|
|November 2013||Tuesday 19th||£3,295|
|January 2014||Tuesday 14th||£3,345|
|April 2014||Tuesday 4th||£3,525|
|October 2014||Tuesday 7th||£3,475|
|October 2014||Tuesday 18th||£3,345|