An unforgettable introduction to one of the world’s most incredible countries, this tour takes in the legendary – the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Terracotta Warriors and the awe-inspiring Great Wall – while revealing some lesser-known wonders such as the Temple of Universal Happiness and the Neolithic ruins of Ban Po.
At a Glance
- 3 nights in Beijing
- 2 nights in Chengde
- 2 nights in Xi’an
- 1 night in Beijing
- Visits to the Great Wall and the Terracotta Warriors
- Sightseeing in Beijing, Xi’an and Chengde
- Train journey from Beijing to Chengde
- London to BeijingArrive at London Heathrow for your overnight flight to Beijing with British Airways or Air China.
- BeijingEn route to the 3* Beijing Dongfang Hotel, your home for three nights, enjoy a short tour of the Summer Palace. Once a royal retreat for the residents of the Forbidden City, this UNESCO heritage site comprises of gardens, walkways showing traditional Chinese art, ponds and Kunming Lake.
- BeijingTake in Tian’anmen Square, where Mao first proclaimed the birth of the People’s Republic of China and now his burial site; the Forbidden City, off-limits to all but a privileged few for over 500 years and court to the Ming and Qing emperors. Your sightseeing tour concludes with a visit to the Temple of Heaven, built in 1420 for emperors to worship Heaven. B L
- Sacred Way and Great WallBegin with a visit to the Sacred Way or Divine Way as it is also known. In ancient times, it is said that the emperor known as the Son of the Heaven, would come from Heaven to this country through the Sacred Way, and also return to Heaven through this road. The tombs of all 13 Ming emperors are guarded by statues of 12 human figures and 24 animals. One of the major highlights awaits as you head to the 2600-year-old, 4100-mile-long Great Wall to admire this feat of engineering and the scenery that surrounds it. B L
- Beijing to ChengdeCross a spectacular mountainous landscape by train – observe rural China and everyday village life en route and pass some of the oldest sections of the Great Wall. Reaching Chengde, check into the 3* YunShan Hotel, your home for two nights. Then explore the Summer Palace, which is set in 590 hectacres of stunning parkland. Built during the late 18th century, it took over 90 years to complete. The emperors of the Qing dynasty would spend their summer here to escape the heat. The grounds contain royal gardens, residential buildings and beautiful temples.
B L D
- ChengdeExplore three of Chengde’s Outer Temples today including the largest, Putuozongcheng Temple, a mini replica of Tibet’s Lhasa’s Potala Palace, the Tibetan-style Puning Temple (Temple of Universal Tranquillity) featuring a giant Buddist statue of Avalokitesvvara and the Pu You Temple (Temple of Universal Bless). B L D
- Chengde to Xi’anTravel by coach to take in the magnificent scenery between Chengde and Beijing. Fly from Beijing to Xi’an and head straight for the only complete city wall still standing in China. Relax for two nights at the 4* Grand New World Hotel, set just inside the city walls. B L
- Xi’anTour Xi’an today to see Ban Po’s Neolithic ruins and the 2000 year old Terracotta Army, built to guard the Qin emperor’s tomb and protect his journey to the afterlife. This evening, dine at the optional Tang Dynasty Show (book locally with your tour manager). B L
- Xi’an to BeijingSpend the morning at Shaanxi’s highly renowned History Museum then visit the Small Wild Goose Pagoda built in 707AD. After lunch, fly back to Beijing and the 3* Metro Park Lido hotel, which welcomes you for your final night. B L
- Beijing to LondonBoard your direct British Airways flight to London Heathrow, where your door-to-door driver will meet you.
Designed for first-timers, this tour is an overview of China’s extraordinary history and culture, giving you a taste that will whet your appetite to discover more.
You’ll need to pack an overnight bag for your two nights in Chengde, as space is limited on the train journey there.
For a real sense of the culture, expect to eat mainly Chinese food. Most meals are taken in local restaurants, where you’ll be able to sample regional specialities.
Tailor Your Tour
Book yourself in for a night of entertainment at the Tang Dynasty Show, available through your tour manager.
Make your holiday last longer by extending your stay in Beijing at the end of the tour. Extra nights at the Metropark Lido Hotel cost from £38 per person per night based on two people sharing a room (single supplement from £38).
This does not include your departure transfer, extension supplement of £25 per person, or any applicable flight supplement.
Alternatively, fly to Chengdu on day 9 to see the giant pandas. Please speak to one of our advisors for more details
Enjoy an upgrade on your international fights. Call our Reservations team for details.
Departure dates and prices:
|April 2013||Thursday 11th||£2,095|
|June 2013||Thursday 6th||£1,995|
|August 2013||Thursday 15th||£2,275|
|September 2013||Wednesday 5th||£2,275|
|October 2013||Thursday 3rd||£2,095|
|January 2014||Thursday 12th||£2,825|
|April 2014||Thursday 10th||£2,125|
|June 2014||Thursday 5rd||£2,025|
|August 2014||Thursday 14th||£2,305|
|September 2014||Thursday 4th||£2,305|
|October 2014||Thursday 2nd||£2,125|