The romance of Ecuador stretches from the peaks of the Andes to the wildlife treasure of the Galapagos. Starting at picture-perfect mountain cities with whitewashed houses and red-tiled roofs, we end with the unique and exotic creatures of the Galapagos – the islands that inspired Darwin’s theory of evolution.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Quito
- 2 nights at San Pablo Lake
- 1 night in Quito
- 1 night in the Riobamba area
- 2 nights in Cuenca
- 1 night in Guayaquil
- 4 nights cruising the Galapagos
- 1 night in Guayaquil
- Four-night Galapagos cruise
- Scenic rail journey through the Andes
- Visit to Cajas and Cotopaxi National Parks
- London to QuitoAfter your door-to-door journey with our pick- up service, fly from London Heathrow with Iberia via Madrid to Quito, where the downtown 4* Hotel Hilton Colon awaits you.
- QuitoExplore Quito’s sights including the colonial Old Town, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and pay a visit to the Equatorial Monument which marks the exact middle of the world. B
- Quito to San PabloJourney by coach through the Andean landscape to the lakeside 3* Hosteria Puerto Lago, your home for two nights. B L D
- San PabloVisit Ecuador’s most celebrated native market in the town of Otavalo and the handicraft town of Cotacachi, known for its leatherware. B L D
- San Pablo to QuitoVisit the glorious volcanic Cuicocha Lake for a boat trip, before returning to Quito and the 4* Hotel Hilton Colon. B L
- Quito to Cotopaxi National Park to the Riobamba areaJourney through the legendary Avenue of Volcanoes, a gauntlet of 51 volcanic peaks running through the heart of Ecuador. Continue to Cotopaxi National Park and spend the day observing the sights and the wildlife before heading to the Riobamba area for one night at the 3* Hacienda Abraspungo. B L D
- Riobamba area to CuencaTravel by road through the Andes to the town of Alausi, board the train and experience a remarkable feat of railroad engineering as you descend, twisting and turning, through the switchbacks of Devil Nose. Continue by road to visit the Inca ruins at Ingapirca Fortress and head for Cuenca for two nights at the 3* El Dorado Hotel. B L D
- CuencaDiscover the wonders of Cuenca city with a walking tour through colonial squares and a visit to the Panama hat factory. B D
- Cuenca to GuayaquilJourney from the highlands to the lowlands en route to Cajas National Park, famed for its beautiful lakes and impressive birdlife. Continue to Guayaquil for a short tour and one night in the downtown 4* Hotel Hilton Colon. B
- Guayaquil to the Galapagos IslandsFly to San Cristobal Island, where the 3* 47-cabin MV Santa Cruz awaits you. The only ship built exclusively for cruising the Galapagos Islands, your home for the next four nights offers superb service from a highly experienced crew, on-board naturalists and fine international cuisine. In the afternoon, we visit Punta Pitt, the only site in the Galapagos where the three species of boobies can be found together. B L D
- Santa Fe Island and South Plaza IslandAfter breakfast, enjoy a walk on Santa Fe Island with the chance to snorkel and swim from the beach. This afternoon it is South Plaza Island, for an opportunity to observe sea lion colonies, frigates, swallow-tailed gulls and shearwaters. B L D
- Puerto Ayora and the Charles Darwin Research Station (Santa Cruz Island)A real highlight today as you have the opportunity to visit the island’s most famous inhabitant – the giant Galapagos tortoise and visit the Charles Darwin Research Station. After lunch, visit the highlands of Santa Cruz Island, with their impressive Scalesia forest and the geological formation of the twin pit craters known as Los Gemelos. B L D
- Punta Suarez and Gardner Bay (Espanola (Hood) Island)The morning starts at Punta Suarez to visit the island’s unique sea bird colonies and the famous “blow-hole”. In the afternoon visit Gardner Bay or ride aboard the glass bootom boat. B L D
- Baltra Island to GuayaquilJourney by bus to the airport for your flight to Guayaquil, where the 4* Hotel Hilton Colon welcomes you for one night’s stay. B
- Guayaquil to LondonJourney to Guayaquil airport for your Iberia flight, via Madrid, to London Heathrow. B
- LondonYour door-to-door driver will take you home.
The city hotels on this tour are of an excellent standard. In rural areas, however, life is more simple, so accommodation may not have air conditioning and may come with showers instead of a bath.
Altitudes vary so it’s important to let your body acclimatise. While there is not a huge amount of walking, some days will be fairly active so we don’t recommend this tour for anyone with walking difficulties.
Please note that the luggage allowance on your flight to the Galapagos is 20kg and is strictly adhered to.
Tailor Your Tour
Discover more of the remarkable Galapagos Islands on an extended five-night cruise from £1,875 per person. For further details of this cruise extension and an extension to the Amazon Rainforest, call our Reservations team.
Your extension supplement of £25 and any applicable flight supplements are not included.
Get more leg room on your international flights in Iberia’s Business Class from £1,950 per person, based on return flights.
Upgrade your cabin on the cruise from as little as £74 per person.
Departure dates and prices:
|April 2013||Saturday 18th||£4,495|
|August 2013||Saturday 22nd||£4,495|
|November 2013||Saturday 14th||£4,495|
|April 2014||Saturday 17th||£4,545|
|August 2014||Saturday 21st||£4,545|
|November 2014||Saturday 8th||£4,545|