Go back to nature on this incredible West Coast tour observing majestic bears in their natural habitat. Visiting on the way the shimmering waterfront cities of Vancouver and Victoria and the mountain resort of Whistler, you’ll find all the necessities of Canada wrapped up in this grizzly bear tale.
At a Glance
- 3 nights in Vancouver
- 2 nights in Whistler
- 1 night in Campbell River
- 3 nights in Sonora
- 2 nights in Victoria
- The scenic Whistler Mountaineer rail journey from Vancouver to Whistler
- City tour of Vancouver
- A half day Black Bear viewing with conservationist in Whistler
- 3 nights on All inclusive basis at the Sonora resort
- A half day Grizzly Bear viewing
- Visit to Butchart Gardens
- London Heathrow to Vancouver Your door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your non-stop Air Canada flight to Vancouver, and three nights at the 5* Fairmont Waterfront.
- Vancouver Tour the city today, starting with a visit to the Stanley Park peninsula, continuing on to the totem poles of the Northwest Coast Indians, the Lions Gate Bridge, English Bay and Chinatown before concluding in Gastown.
- Vancouver A morning at leisure.
- Vancouver to Whistler Morning departure on the Whistler Mountaineer, a scenic train journey following the oceanfront along the shores of Howe Sound, as you travel to the mountain resort of Whistler. Two nights are spent at the 5* Fairmont Chateau Whistler hotel.
- Whistler Today you will pay a special visit to see the Black Bear in their natural environment, guided by a conservationist. During the day you will be split into small groups, travelling in customised four-wheel drives to observe a bear den and the wildlife, vegetation, glaciers and rainforests of Whistler Blackcomb Mountains.
- Whistler to Campbell River Depart this morning and travel back to Vancouver to join the BC Ferry over to Vancouver Island. On arrival transfer to Campbell River for an overnight at the 3* Coast Discovery Hotel & Marina.
- Campbell River to Sonora Resort This morning depart for a seventy-minute boat ride to the luxurious, all-inclusive 5* Sonora Resort. Nestled within a beautiful wilderness environment, it provides an excellent base for wildlife viewing including grizzly bears, dolphins, sea lions and orca whales. Enjoy the resort’s excellent facilities during your three-night stay. L D
- Sonora Resort Depart early morning by boat to witness the elusive West Coast Grizzly Bear in their natural habitat. Take the hour-long Eco Tour boat trip from Sonora where you can witness grizzlies catching salmon and playing with their cubs. The afternoon is at leisure. B L D
- Sonora Resort Your day is at leisure to enjoy the resort, including activities such as salmon fishing, more bear watching, kayaking, hiking or a day of relaxation in the wonderful spa. B L D
- Sonora to Victoria Departure by boat to Campbell River and continue to Victoria, stopping at Butchart Gardens. Stay for two nights at the landmark 4* Plus Fairmont Empress. This hotel is not air-conditioned.
- Victoria A day at leisure with the opportunity to take a three-hour whale watching cruise (£70 – pre-bookable with your holiday).
- Vancouver to London Take the ferry back to Vancouver continuing to the airport for your overnight Air Canada flight to London Heathrow.
- London Morning arrival at London Heathrow where your door-to-door driver will take you home.
This remarkable tour will take you and a limited number of fellow travellers on a journey to remember.
Comfortable, warm clothing and walking shoes are a must for the bear viewing in Whistler and also come in handy if you choose to do some hiking in your free time either in Whistler or Sonora.
The Sonora Resort is a haven of tranquility, the food is superb as is the service. This is an all-inclusive resort and all food and drink is included in the price including drinks from your minibar.
You will be viewing these animals in the wild, therefore the amount of bear sightings can never be guaranteed. However, in these unique circumstances the importance is on what you see rather than the amount you see, so have your binoculars and cameras at the ready.
Please note: these trains travel through rugged and inaccessible terrain. Occasionally freight trains using the same track can cause delays. Consequently, re-routing of the journey may be necessary by road. No compensation is payable in these circumstances.
Tailor Your Tour
Extend your stay with a few extra nights at the 5* Fairmont Waterfront (from £69 per person per night, based on sharing a twin room, single supplement from £69).
Departure transfer, £25 extension supplement and any applicable flight supplements are not included.
Fly in superior comfort in Air Canada’s Executive First, available from £2,995 return.
Departure dates and prices:
|September 2013||Thursday 19th||£4,075|
|September 2014||Thursday 18th||£4,105|