Cocktails on the verandah, a ceiling fan turning slowly overhead, cicadas calling in the distance – welcome to the Deep South. On this atmospheric trip you can sip a cool mint julep on a French Quarter balcony, wander the hallways of Graceland and learn how to dance the Cajun two-step in a Louisiana honky-tonk.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Marietta, Atlanta area
- 3 nights in Nashville
- 2 nights in Memphis
- 2 nights in Natchez>
- 3 nights in New Orleans
- 1 night in Lafayette
- Sightseeing in Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans
- Horse-and-carriage ride and visit to an antebellum home in Natchez
- A visit to Graceland, Sun Studio, CNN Studios and Jack Daniels Distillery
- Cajun cookery class in Cajun country
- London to Atlanta – Marietta Your door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your British Airways flight to Atlanta. Check in at the 4* Hilton Marietta for two nights.
- Atlanta This morning enjoy a city tour of Atlanta to see Centennial Park, Georgia State Capitol Building and the home of Martin Luther King. Visit the Civil Rights Centre and Museum where he is buried. Finish your morning with a behind the scenes tour of CNN Studios. This afternoon, explore Atlanta at your own leisure.
- Atlanta to Chattanooga and Nashville Visit Chattanooga’s spectacular Rock City Gardens at Lookout Mountain and visit the Jack Daniels Distillery in rural Tennessee. Unpack at the 4* Sheraton Hotel for three nights in the centre of Nashville.
- Nashville Tour the capital of country music this morning before an optional afternoon trip to the incredible Opryland Hotel. Round off the day with an optional evening at the Grand Ole Opry.
- Nashville Pay an optional visit to the historic RCA Studio B and Country Music Hall of Fame or explore Nashville at your leisure.
- Nashville to Memphis The journey today takes you to Memphis. Settle in at the downtown 3* Plus Holiday Inn Select.
- Memphis This morning explore Elvis’ former home, Graceland, for an intimate insight into the man behind the legend. The tour includes admission to the mansion, the aeroplanes and the Automobile Museum. In the afternoon continue the theme of rock ‘n’ roll with a visit to the celebrated Sun Studio.
- Memphis to Natchez Journey to the state of Mississippi and check in at the 3* Natchez Grand or similar in Natchez’s centre for two nights.
- Natchez Enjoy a romantic horse-and-carriage tour and a look inside an elegant mansion this morning. This afternoon, take an optional tour to a cotton plantation or spend time at leisure.
- Natchez to New Orleans Travel to New Orleans this morning: see the sights on an afternoon tour before checking in at the 4* Hyatt French Quarter set in the celebrated French Quarter. This evening’s optional Mississippi cruise on a traditional steamboat includes dinner and jazz.
- New Orleans Explore the jewel of Louisiana at your own pace.
- New Orleans Look out for alligators and other bayou wildlife on an optional swamp cruise, or spend the day at leisure.
- New Orleans to Lafayette Head for the heart of Cajun country, stopping for a Cajun cookery class to round off your deep south experience. This evening enjoy an optional farewell dinner and dance at a local restaurant. Settle in at the 4* Hilton Hotel at Lafayette’s entrance.
- Lafayette to Houston and flight home Leave for Houston to catch your return British Airways flight to London Heathrow.
- London Your door-to-door driver will transport you home.
Along with exploring southern city life in New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville, you also get a unique perspective on smaller towns like Natchez in Mississippi and Lafayette in Louisiana.
Our time in Lafayette allows you to encounter Cajun culture, including a cookery class by a skilled Cajun chef. If the spirit takes you, you can also learn how to dance to zydeco music.
The antebellum mansions in Natchez rival any you’ll find elsewhere in the south. This is one of the Old South’s loveliest towns.
Tailor Your Tour
See more of this fascinating area on the optional excursions available from your tour manager throughout the tour.
Make your holiday last longer with a tailor-made extension – our experienced Reservations team will help you put together something to suit you.
The cost of your extension will be subject to a supplement of £25 and any applicable flight supplements.
Enjoy greater comfort with British Airways in World Traveller Plus from a supplement of £295 per person return, or choose Club World from a supplement of £2,395 return.
Upgrade from the standard rooms to a River View room in the Natchez Grand Hotel, for a supplement of £25 per person based on a twin room. (Single supplement £25).
Departure dates and prices:
|March 2012||Wednesday 6th||£1,995|
|April 2013||Wednesday 10th||£2,295|
|May 2013||Wednesday 1st||£2,295|
|June 2013||Wednesday 12th||£2,195|
|August 2013||Wednesday 28th||£2,295|
|September 2013||Wednesday 19th||£2,225|
|October 2013||Wednesday 9th||£2,225|
|March 2014||Wednesday 5th||£2,025|
|April 2014||Wednesday 9th||£2,325|
|April 2014||Wednesday 30th||£2,325|
|June 2014||Wednesday 11th||£2,225|
|August 2014||Wednesday 27th||£2,325|
|September 2014||Wednesday 18th||£2,255|
|October 2014||Wednesday 8th||£2,255|