Captivating and elusive, polar bears are one of the great spectacles of the animal world; this tour offers a unique opportunity to observe these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat – an experience that will live with you forever. Combined with some of Canada’s most absorbing cities, this tour is a fantastic introduction to Canada.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in Toronto
- 2 nights on VIA Rail’s The Canadian Train
- 1 night in Winnipeg
- 3 nights in Churchill
- 1 night in Winnipeg
- 2 nights in Ottawa
- Two days of viewing Polar Bears in their natural environment
- Plenty of chance to experience the cities of Ottawa, Churchill and Toronto
- Overnight VIA Rail journey from Winnipeg to Toronto
- London Heathrow to Toronto After your door-to-door journey to London Heathrow fly with Air Canada on a direct flight to Toronto and enjoy your first night’s stay in the centrally-located 4* Sheraton Toronto Centre Hotel.
- Niagara Falls or Toronto See Niagara Falls on an optional trip (book with your holiday). Otherwise your day is free.
- Toronto/The Canadian This morning, a city tour takes in Toronto’s famous sights, including the Parliament Buildings and the CN Tower. Later today transfer to the VIA Rail station for your journey to Winnipeg.
- The Canadian Continue along the railway passing stunning lakes and forests, taking in the beauty of this part of the country. B L D
- The Canadian/Winnipeg Arriving in Winnipeg this morning and transfer to the 4* Hilton Suites Hotel Winnipeg for the night.
- Winnipeg to Churchill Take an early morning flight to Churchill on the Edge of Hudson Bay – renowned as the Polar Bear capital of the world. After lunch take a short tour of Churchill, including the Eskimo Museum, before taking a helicopter flight to Point Churchill for your first sights of the bears. Arrive at the 3* Aurora Inn for a pleasant three-night stay. L D
- Churchill Travel across the ice on Tundra Buggies to see the fascinating polar bears in their stunning natural habitat. Churchill is directly on the bears’ annual autumn migration path so wonderful sights of the bears are sure to be had. B L D
- Churchill Enjoy a full day on the ice viewing the polar bears. This is perhaps the pinnacle of the tour and a fantastic opportunity to see some of the bears most intimate behaviour. B L D
- Churchill to Winnipeg Some free time this morning before your flight to Winnipeg; settle down for the night at the 4* Hilton Suites Hotel Winnipeg. B L
- Winnipeg to Ottawa Fly to Ottawa and transfer to the 4* Lord Elgin Hotel for two nights.
- Ottawa Explore Canada’s fascinating capital in the morning taking in the historic Parliament building and War Memorial. The afternoon is yours to roam the city and visit any of the outstanding sights, including the National Gallery, Museum of Civilization or shop in the Sparks Street Mall and Byward Market. Return to the Lord Elgin Hotel for another night.
- Ottawa to London Take time to yourself in the morning to relax or pick up those last minute holiday gifts before your overnight non-stop Air Canada flight to the UK.
- London Morning arrival at London Heathrow where your door-to-door driver awaits and will deliver you to your home in comfort.
This exciting tour takes you and a limited number of fellow travellers on a remarkable journey to view the fantastic polar bears from the safety of a Tundra buggy (a specially-designed, heated vehicle with enormous tyres). The opportunity to observe these imposing creatures in the wild is an unforgettable experience. Casual, warm clothing is a necessity for this tour.
The helicopter flight to Point Churchill is a real highlight as this spit of land, jutting out into the Hudson Bay, is where the ice forms first and the polar bears are drawn to it for this reason. This flight is subject to weather conditions and may not operate in severe weather.
Please note: these trains travel through rugged and inaccessible terrain. Occasionally freight trains using the same track can cause delays. Consequently, re-routing of the journey may be necessary by road. No compensation is payable in these circumstances.
Tailor Your Tour
Extend your stay with a few extra nights at the 4* Sheraton Toronto Centre Hotel (from £49 per person per night, based on sharing a twin room, single supplement from £49), or at the Lord Elgin Hotel (from £50 per person per night based on sharing a twin room, single supplement from £50).
Departure transfer, £25 extension supplement and any applicable flight supplements are not included.
Upgrade on the Canadian from £235 per person and to Air Canada’s Executive First from £2,600 per person, return.
Departure dates and prices:
|October 2013||Thursday 10th||£5,695|
|October 2014||Thursday 9th||£5,725|