Bursting with gorgeous scenery strung between two stunning coastlines – the Pacific and the Caribbean – Costa Rica, the ‘rich coast’, certainly lives up to its name. Discover mangroves, rainforest, white sand beaches and volcanoes and all the beautiful rare birds and animal species that call this country home.
At a Glance
- 2 nights in San José
- 2 nights in Tortuguero
- 2 nights in Arenal
- 2 nights in Tamarindo
- 2 nights in Monteverde Cloud Forest
- 2 nights in Quepos
- Sightseeing in Tortuguero, Carara and Arenal Volcano National Parks
- Visit to Monteverde Cloud Forest
- London to San JoséYour door-to-door driver takes you to London Heathrow for your Iberia flight, via Madrid, to San José and the downtown 3* Plus Ramada Plaza Herradura.
- San JoséVisit a coffee plantation before learning about Costa Rica’s eco-systems at INBioparque. B L
- San José to Tortuguero National ParkJourney to Caño Blanco and continue by boat through canals and lagoons to the 3* Evergreen Lodge in Tortuguero National Park for the first of two nights. You’re free this afternoon to explore. B L D
- Tortuguero National ParkThe early morning is free to enjoy your lodge, or perhaps join an optional guided tour in the tropical rainforest. Tortuguero is a fascinating system of natural and man-made canals. It is a wonderful habitat for many types of bird, monkey, crocodile, manatee and several species of land turtle and we head out after breakfast by boat and on foot to spot as many of these creatures as we can. B L D
- Tortuguero to ArenalJourney by boat and coach to the plains of San Carlos, dominated by the Arenal Volcano. The 3* Los Lagos Resort & Spa welcomes you for two nights. B L
- ArenalEnjoy a morning at leisure before a gentle afternoon walking tour to Arenal Volcano National Park. Relax at the impressive Arenal hot springs before a chance, weather permitting, to witness volcanic activity this evening. B D
- Arenal to TamarindoToday, continue to the province of Guanacaste, skirting Arenal Lake, for two nights at the 4* Tamarindo Diria Beach and Golf Resort on the North Pacific Coast, a short stroll from town. B
- TamarindoTamarindo Wildlife Refuge protects a large estuary, mangrove forest and tropical dry forest. Our boat trip today through this area offers an opportunity to observe rare and abundant wildlife including dozens of bird species and three types of monkey. B
- Tamarindo to Monteverde Cloud ForestClimb the Tilarán Mountains to the 3* El Establo Hotel, just minutes from the heart of Monteverde Cloud Forest, for a two-night stay. B
- Monteverde Cloud ForestDiscover the private world of the Cloud Forest today. Your afternoon is free to explore at your own pace. B
- Monteverde Cloud Forest to QueposJourney to the Quepos area and unpack for two nights at the 4* Hotel Parador Resort & Spa. B
- Manuel Antonio National ParkYour tour of Manuel Antonio National Park leads you through rainforest to two spectacular white sand beaches – you may be abe to spot capuchin and squirrel monkeys. The afternoon is at leisure. B
- Quepos to San José and flight homeReturning to Costa Rica’s capital, head for the airport for your flight back to London via Madrid, with Iberia. B
- LondonReaching London Heathrow, your door-to- door driver will chauffeur you home.
More than a quarter of Costa Rica is conservation land. Expect to see beautiful butterflies and brilliantly-coloured birds, emerald-fringed beaches and magnificent Cloud Forest.
We take you off the beaten track so that you get a true experience of the wilderness. Because this sometimes involves walking, we recommend that you have an average level of fitness.
At times, accommodation is set in the heart of the rainforest, which means it may be simple, with fans instead of air conditioning and showers instead of baths. On some journeys by boat, space is limited, so bring a small daypack.
Please note that some roads are in poor condition and may be bumpy.
Tailor Your Tour
Add a stay at the beach to the end of your tour. Three nights at the 4* Plus Los Suenos Marriot Ocean 7 Golf Resort costs from £305 per person (single supplement from £210, including transfers). Your extension supplement from £210, including transfers).
Your extension supplement of £25 per person is not included.
Fly to and from Costa Rica in comfort in Iberia’s Business Class – perfect for a special treat. Prices start at £2,250 per person, based on return flights.
Departure dates and prices:
|February 2013||Monday 11th||£2,995|
|April 2013||Monday 15th||£2,895|
|October 2013||Monday 14th||£2,845|
|February 2014||Monday 10th||£3,045|
|April 2014||Monday 14th||£2,945|
|October 2014||Monday 13th||£2,895|